Image result for name on a popsicle stickLesson 6

This was one of my personal favorite lessons.

I thought of a game that would help me get a refresher on the student's names but would be fun for them even if I made a mistake. I called the game "hiding in plain sight." All of the students names are in a can on popsicle sticks. I pulled out a stick, read the name out loud, and they had to say "one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi" before I pointed to the student. (They had an extra advantage because they had changed their desks and their seating chart around.) If they were faster than me than I got a strike. I had told them that if I got three strikes I would be out, but that happened faster than I was expecting! They were having a great time. They were hiding their name tags and saying "don't smile if she says your name guys, it'll give it away!" They decided that for each one I got right I could erase a strike. One of the students eagerly volunteered to be in charge of writing the strikes and erasing them. This was a win-win situation because the students were happy if I got their names or not and it helped me to get really sharp on them again - well worth the time.


Image result for conga lineNext, I told them that we were gonna strut to the beat on some groovy songs. I turned on "Stayin' Alive" and showed them where the main beat was. I told them it was the quarter note and we walked saying "1, 2, 3, 4." Then I would pause the music and say "freeze!" so that I could give them new instructions. We did eighth notes, half notes, whole notes, and the offbeat (meaning the "ands.") They were hesitant at first but pretty soon they formed a conga line and were dancing as they moved and walked to the given beat. I told them that I thought they could have more attitude while they walked and one student said "sassy ladies, sassy!" which was really funny. I wish I could have recorded it! They looked like they were having so much fun. They kept asking for one more song so we did the activity to "Under Pressure" and "Billie Jean" as well.

The last activity we did was add choreography to Kumbaya. I think it may have been a little bit underwhelming after such an upbeat activity, but they cooperated alright. I think it was difficult for them to multitask because their singing became very quiet and their energy while they danced was less than satisfactory. After a little coaxing it got better. The soloists did well and it looked pretty nice. I got the impression that the students were ready for a brand new activity next time. They have good attitudes, they just need something fresh.

The lesson went smoothly and I felt close to the class. They're so great! I can't believe the semester is almost over.



Comments

  1. Abbie, I'm impressed by your written articulation of each lesson plan you have experienced in your classroom here on your blog. It seems that knowing the students' names has been a HUGE focus for you this semester! You mentioned it really helps with classroom management for yourself when you know each child's name...I wonder if it benefits the students in any way or just your management style? I think it does benefit the students! I just wonder if you have given thought to how those activities impact them and their classroom culture as well?
    We've almost made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Savannah! I think you're right! I think the students feel more personally valued and recognized when you know them by name. I've considered what you said. Perhaps this helps them to more fully "show up" and do their best in class since they know we care and that we notice them. It's a small thing that helps us to celebrate their successes, encourage their curiosity, and show love for their unique expression.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog